Location: Upper New York Bay, Borough of Manhattan, New York City
How To Get There: By Ferry from Lower Manhattan – NO FARE on 10 AM, 11 AM and 11:30 AM ferries on Saturdays and Sundays. There is also NO FARE on the 11 AM and 11:30 AM ferry from Brooklyn Pier 6 on Saturdays and Sundays. These ferries are free to all.
Things to Do:
- View Art – there are art exhibitions in various locations at Governors Island
- Bike – the 172-acre island has paved roads ideal for biking; visitors may bring their own bike ($1 ferry fee) or rent one on the island
- Sightsee – the island offers views of Statue of Liberty, Lower Manhattan Skyline, Brooklyn Bridge and Waterfront
- Eat – there are two food courts on the island with various stalls; or visitors may bring their own food and picnic on the sprawling lawns
- Play – there are play areas for kids
- Learn – there are ranger led tours of Fort Jay and Castle Williams
The residents of New York City are not only blessed with Central Park, they also have Governors Island where they can enjoy with their family.
Hubby and I enjoyed our day at Governors Island. It was wonderful to see kids happily playing, families laughing together, and adults exploring.
A busy and crowded city like Manhattan can never have enough parks where people can relax and enjoy. It’s great that it has Governors Island as one of its numerous parks.
Note: Governors Island is closed during the winter.